Monday, April 16, 2012

When Worlds Collide...


Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to take in Monsterpalooza out in Burbank, CA.  Since the only conventions I had ever attended were this years Wondercon and the Long Beach Comicon a few years back, I had decided that it would be in the best interest of the book to check out one of the many non-comic book related conventions out there.  I was a monster fanatic long before I fell in love with comic books, so needless to say, I was excited.  



After standing in line for two hours because I didn’t have the foresight to purchase tickets in advance (Rule #1… ALWAYS buy tickets in advance), I made it into the venue and discovered a few things…

1) Comic books are great, but you can’t beat the visual stimuli of a special FX guru hard at work. 

 


2)  Cosplayers tend to run a little… darker.




3)  The crossover potential is tremendous.  Horror, sci-fi and fantasy… Whatever your genre, if it sparks the imagination, you can showcase it here. 



No joke.  There’s a reason why a lot of the gaming industry sends some of their designers to scope out some inspiration. 

Let's curb-stomp someone!


And finally, this was probably the most important thing I learned…


4) Bigfoot is sorely underrepresented. 

Seriously, I found one bust of Harry from Harry and the Hendersons and that was squirreled away in a booth where the guy was making horror related soap (don’t laugh, I bought a hockey mask-shaped bar.)  So where was our hominid brethren?  Did I take a wrong turn and miss the elaborate display of all horror/sci-fi/fantasy related Sasquatchian goodness?

Unfortunately, I don't think so.  

But after attending both Wondercon and now Monsterpalooza, I’ve come away with the reality that we would be right at home at both.   Nothing says sci-fi fantasy more than a sword wielding sasquatch.

So take note everybody.   Monsterpalooza is on our radar now and I vow to you all… Next year, Bigfoot will be making an appearance…

Now I just need to look up when the next Bigfoot conference is.

Until next time…

Josh S. Henaman

No comments:

Post a Comment